Winter Storm Recovery

After the Storm
Since filming this video, FEMA assistance has been announced. See below for more information.

FEMA Assistance If you sustained damage from snow and ice during the winter storms and you have insurance, contact your insurance company and then FEMA. Your insurance claim information is needed to determine eligibility for federal assistance.

  • Learn what steps to take before applying for assistance.
  • If you are uninsured, the fastest and easiest way to apply for assistance is online at You can apply 24 hours a day, seven days a week, no waiting or delays.
  • Note: FEMA cannot reimburse you for food lost due to a power failure. However, voluntary organizations in your community may be able to help. You can also call 211 for assistance.
Habitat for Humanity
Crisis Cleanup
High Water Bills
Don’t stress about a high water bill due to leaks caused by the winter storm! Please pay what you paid on your last bill until automatic adjustments can be applied. Payments can be made online through the automated phone system at 713-371-1265 or with a customer service representative at 713-371-1400
Water Doesn’t Smell Right?
Click for more info
If you have noticed a strange smell in the water, report it to 3-1-1! Call 3-1-1 (or 713-837-0311), email, visit or through the Houston 3-1-1 app.
IRS Announces Tax Relief for
Texas Winter Storm Victims
Victims of winter storms that began February 11, 2021 now have until June 15, 2021, to file various individual and business tax returns and make tax payments. For more information, visit:
Property Tax Relief
Homeowners can receive a temporary exemption of a portion of their property taxes if their property was at least 15% damaged by the winter storm. May 28th is the deadline to apply. For more information, visit:
Rental Assistance
Although this assistance is related to COVID, many people lost their jobs due to COVID and then were also impacted by the winter storm. Please visit for details, and see the flyer below.
Report Home Damage to the City
Was your home damaged by the winter storm? You can submit damages via the following “Personal Property Damage Reporting” forms:
English –
Español –
Report Your Needs
Be Aware of Scams

Information About Finding a Qualified Contractor from Greater Houston Builders Association (GHBA):

Important to note: Do not pay for the entire job upfront or pay in cash. State law prohibits contractors in disaster areas from taking upfront money unless they have held a physical business address in the county or adjacent county for at least one year. This law, found in Chapter 58 of the Texas Business and Commerce Code, provides other valuable protections for those rebuilding in disaster areas.

Property damage: What to do next?

GHBA’s Disaster Resources webpage:

Leave A Comment